Re: [8023-10GEPON] power budget ad hoc teleconference

Dear Dr.Frank Effenberger,

I am Hiroshi Hamano with Fujitsu Labs. and I would like to make some comments
in place of Takizawa with Fujitsu Access.

> 1. FEC Gain: I agree that RS(255,239) can only give you 3 dB with a PIN
> detector.  But, why must we use RS(255,239)?  That decision has not been
> made.  I think that given all the challenges of 10G PON, each technical
> point needs to be pushed equally.  So, I would like to ask for 4 dB from the
> FEC guru's out there.  I think it can be done - the only issue is at what
> cost.  But, if we don't set a target, we will never know.
>
> So, I think 4 dB is my 'planning number'.  Let's see if we can make it.

I did not know that you are targeting Enhanced-FEC in your power budget,
instead of RS(255,239), and that is your proposal to FEC people.
Some Japanese venders also think about it to relax the tight power target
of the optical source.
My personal concern is that the burst-mode CDR would lock in properly
and smoothly in such a big noise environment of BER 10-2 using high-gain
FEC.

> 2. DFB source penalty: I think that the appropriate way to capture
> transmitter penalties of this type is to use the OMA definition of
> transmitter power.  In this way, I would ask for the same OMA out of
> whatever transmitter.  If a DFB needs to be operated at a really bad ER,
> then it will have to compensate for that with increased power to make the
> OMA number.  So, I don't think this is a basic discrepancy.

I thought that your power budget uses ITU-T formalism.
This is, I think, important to understand easily what figure should be the
real target of each optical component.  IEEE OMA description may clearly
separate ER, OMA, and Transmitter Penalty, especially in 803.2ah, and
it makes the standards consistency easier, but I am afraid most optics
engineers are used to ITU-T-like image in their design and testing.
The major difference between your budget and that of Japanese vendors is
2dB of ONU transmitter power (10G U/S B++), and that is just the degradation
of DFB with its low ER and waveform distortion.  I think it should be
clearly pointed out to give component venders the comprehensive target.

> 3. APD overload - Yes, this is a big issue, definitely.  I would just throw
> out one small hope, which is that the dynamic range of practical PONs tends
> not to be the 15 dB bogey.  I think 10 dB is quite adequate.  So, if we
> really get pushed, we might play that card.

If your proposal card wins the game, that will be a help for gasping venders
against tight power budgets.  Personally I really want to support your idea,
but also worry that it is not easy to revise those figures in such a
co-existence case.

Best regards,

Hiroshi Hamano
Fujitsu Labs. Ltd.

%% Frank Effenberger <feffenberger@HUAWEI.COM>
%% Re: [8023-10GEPON] power budget ad hoc teleconference
%% Mon, 30 Apr 2007 21:07:28 -0400