[8023-10GEPON] Power Budget report

Dear Robert and all,

This is a discussion report about 10GEPON power budget recently held
among Japanese people.

1. FEC Algorism

Many people (5 vendors out of 6) support E-FEC to alleviate the
requirement for transmitter's launch power.
Algorism experts suggest RS(255,223) as an E-FEC.
Several individuals (1 vendor) support Standard-FEC with following
reasons.
- Additional gain by RS(255,223) is small even as compared to RS(255,239)
  (0.6dB with PIN-RX, 0.9dB with APD-RX)
- 10G burst-mode CDR operation stability at high-error region is still
  unknown
- Optics should have potential to achieve the target power budget
  without E-FEC

2. IEEE Formalism

Half of the people (3 vendors out of 6) there turned to support the
idea of "3av_0707_hamano_1.pdf".
TDP numbers in there are confirmed by their own 10G-Ether transceiver
data.
But some people (1 vendor) worry about insufficiency of data and
investigations to fulfill all the numbers in the IEEE spec. list.
And they suggest to leave most of the specs., including TDP and S(OMA),
blank or TBD at Draft.1, and to fill only the numbers, Launch(OMA) and
SRS(OMA), instead.

3. Receiver Type in 10GEPON ONU

No approaches for compromise were seen in the discussions between the
two groups of PIN and APD.
They are asking for potential supporters and I think we'll see
discussions again on the reflector or in the next Seoul meeting.

Best regards,
--
Motoyuki Takizawa
Fujitsu Access Ltd. R&D Center