[8023-10GEPON] FW: [8023-10GEPON] Raman cross-talk calculations

Resending, somehow this did not seem to get on the first try. DP

I agree with Frank that un-audited calculations are problem-some in that the the CNR depends on a number of parameters, not all relevant to all applications.  I hereby offer my unaudited calculation.

I have attached a document in which I do not calculate CNR, but I compare the Raman noise contribution from a 10G signal, 20 nm above the video signal, to the contribution from a class B, B-PON signal at 1490 nm on a video signal at 1555 nm.

The B-PON is widely deployed with analog video in North America.  As long as the "Raman noise" from the 10G signal is less than the B-PON "Raman noise"  the 10G-EPON should be considered deployable with a video overlay.

The B-PON "Raman noise" limit is however  arbitrary in that one can certainly deploy RF video with 10G-EPON systems with noise that exceed the B-PON limit. In some cases one may need to mitigate the Raman effect by one or more of the following:

Use digital modulation (QAM) or more of it with a greater fraction of the RF carriers.
Use greater RF pre-emphasis on low frequency RF channels.
Use separate feeder fibers for 10G-EPON and RF video
etc.

I am comfortable with a +14 dBm 10G launch power as a maximum power limit.

I also agree with Frank, that as a practical point, analog video is becoming less important.

Effective 2009, in the USA all over the air channels will go all digital, In addition all wireline video providers who do not provide a "CableCard" device to enable the use conditional access on third party set top boxes, and TV sets, will also have to go all-digital.  As far as I know aside from legacy cable TV providers, the conclusion is that going all digital is easier than building a cable-card infrastructure.  It seems as if Verizon, for example would fall into this category.

In addition, I also do not believe that the incompatiblablity between GE-PON idle frame interference at 62.5 MHz and its harmonics and analog video deterred the deployment of GE-PON;

I welcome comments.

David Piehler
Alphion