From: Hiroshi Hamano [mailto:hamano.hiroshi@JP.FUJITSU.COM]
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2007 7:33 AM
To: STDS-802-3-10GEPON@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [8023-10GEPON] Optical budget presentation

Dear Dr. Effenberger,

Your additional statements show clear E-FEC indications and are quite
reasonable
and acceptable for most Japanese vendors, I believe.

But I am not quite sure about your Extinction Ratio discussion.
Maybe I do not clearly understand what your word "nominal value" means, but
there is no such 10G DML with 9dB ER in the world.  7dB is quite a good
value
for 10G DMLs, and so, the min. ER of 6dB was settled.
I believe 9dB DML is unrealistic even with technology progress in a couple
of years.
If OMA translation is made on 9dB ER, the value will be about 1dB bigger
than
what we have supposed for 10G DML in ITU-T formalism.

I am also not quite sure, but, even in IEEE formalism, specifications should
also
be based on the worst case value, and OMA translation should be made on the
minimum
ER of 9dB for Downstream and 6dB for Upstream, not on the "nominal ER"
value.
That is, I believe, the ER definition in ITU-T formalism.

Would you please tell me if I misunderstand you??

Best regards,
Hiroshi Hamano

%% Frank Effenberger <feffenberger@HUAWEI.COM>
%% [8023-10GEPON] Optical budget presentation
%% Fri, 2 Nov 2007 22:32:37 -0400

> Dear all,
>

> Attached is the next (and hopefully complete!) version of the power budget
> presentation.
>
> I¡§ve added explanations of the extinction ratio, and I¡§ve included
> snapshots of the spreadsheet.
>
> (I¡§ve also included the spreadsheet.)
>

> I welcome people to let me know if they support this talk.
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Dr. Frank J. Effenberger      Ï×ÉùᘠÍÞ¿ŽøŠõŽ
>
> Huawei Technologies USA
>
> 1700 Alma Drive, Plano TX 75075
>
> Office (732) 625 3002
>
> Cell (908) 670 3889

---
Hiroshi Hamano
Network Systems Labs., Fujitsu Labs. Ltd.
Phone:+81-44-754-2641 Fax.+81-44-754-2640
E-mail:hamano.hiroshi@jp.fujitsu.com