[8023-10GEPON] Optical Overload Ad-hoc - the issue of damage thresholds

Dear All,

I think that this discussion has revealed that there are two sub-issues, with one being more general than the other.

Issue 1 (General): Should we specify damage thresholds at all?
Issue a (specific): If we do specify damage, what should they be?
Only if we decide issue 1 in the affirmative do we need to worry about issue a.

So, do we specify a damage threshold?  We don't 'need to' - at least using the interoperability test criterion.  I also note that the ITU PON standards don't specify a damage threshold, either.  So, I'm ok with not specifying any damage thresholds whatsoever.  Just take that line out of the table, full stop.  We are better off just remaining silent.

Let me test this approach: Would anybody object to the solution of just removing the optical damage line items from the optical tables for 10G?

If we can get consensus on this, then we can talk about adding some other "words of warning" regarding back-to-back connection of the equipment not being recommended... But I want to take it one step at a time.

Sincerely,
Frank E.