[10GMMF] Re: Impulse Responses for "Worst Case" MMF

Dear SG Colleagues,

At the meeting in Vancouver, several participants requested to be given
the fibre responses generated by the "81 fibre" statistical model.
Having discussed internally how best we might respond to these requests,
we have consulted with Bruce Tolley. He has suggested that we make
available at the next meeting a full set of responses, posted on the SG
web site. These would be provided in a sufficiently detailed manner so
that worst case fibre responses can be generated for arbitrary launch
conditions. David Cunningham has kindly agreed to make a short
presentation at the meeting to explain how the data can be used.

We are aware however that some colleagues would prefer responses being
made available beforehand, and hence with immediate effect, we will make
available the frequency and impulse responses of worst case fibres
under offset launch conditions at a wavelength of 1.3 microns. The data
has been generated using the approach in Webster et al., A statistical
analysis of conditioned launch for Gigabit Ethernet links using
multimode fiber, Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 17, no. 9, pp.
1532-1541, September 1999. Responses for three values of offset will be
provided, resulting in 207 profiles being made available. We hope that
this will meet the majority of needs from the group. The data will be
posted on a web site, but if it is required urgently, please send an
email directly to me at ihw3@cam.ac.uk, and the data will be sent
directly to you.

May we make clear that whilst we understand that the data will be used
for commercial purposes, it is made available on the basis that the it
will not be sold to third parties, either directly or within software
tools. We can of course not accept any liability for the results made
available.

I hope that this proves to be helpful to the workings of the group.

Yours sincerely,

Ian White and Richard Penty