From: LAWTON,MIKE (A-England,ex1)
Sent: 31 August 2004 16:40
To: 'owner-stds-802-3-10gmmf@listserv.ieee.org'
Subject: [10GMMF] TP3 Meeting reminder Aug 31.

Hi Everyone,

Here are my thoughts for discussion on point 5. below.

5. Review work list of addtional items                    Mike

Goal: Define simple, low cost but rigorous testing designed to support interoperability

Process to Follow
=================
Review Lew's proposal presentation along with alternative approaches.

1. List Rx Stressors required to represent the channel:-
        a. Fiber loss/dispersion
        b. Connector loss/dispersion
        c. Time varying factors
        d. Modal Noise
        e. RIN
        f. Jitter
        g. Optical signal conditioning

a+b is being handled with Petre's work.

Who can support c thru g?
Is there anything we can simply tick off the list either with a small amount of work or by accepting what Lew has already proposed?

2. Representation within Link Budget
        - how should it be represented within the link budget ... do we need to do more work to support this
        - How significant is it?
                - is the effect swamped by other factors?

3. Emulation with the stressed Eye Rx Test
        Possible approaches:-
                a. ignore
                b. loss
                c. sinusoidal interferer (single amplitude and frequency)
                d. multiple sinusoidal interferers
                e. impulse response emulation - 2 ray, 3 ray, tapped delay line, Gaussian, Butterworth filter
                f. ??

4. Validation of Chosen Technique
                a. How does it capture the worst case?
                b. How practical is it?
                        - repeatability
                        - calibration
                        - ??
                c. Does it avoid uneccessary complexity?

5. Known assumptions/non idealities and their significance
                a. what simplifications have been made? how significant are they?

6. Other Questions???

Best Regards

Mike