Re: [10GMMF] Re feedback Polarisation effect and my HMG calculations

Dear John,

Thank you very much for your comments.

For a perfect radial symmetric waveguide, the change of input polarization
varies the energy of the degenerate modes (the sin mode and cos mode) in one
mode. The total power of the mode is a constant. The root of the
polarization effect is the imperfection of the fibers, the asymmetric fiber
core, the perturbation of the index profile, as well as the external stress.
These imperfections introduce the modal selective loss, mode coupling and
power diffusion in the multimode fibers. The exact mathematic expression of
these behaviors is complicated. However, the common point of these behaviors
is that the energy in the modes is redistributed and how the energy is
redistributed depends on the spatial distribution of the modes and their
initial power partition. Empirically, the combination of polarization
induced energy transfer among the degenerate modes and modal selective lose,
such as an offset at the connector or detector, resembles the experimental
observation.

I hope this make some sense. I would appreciate your comments.

Best regards,

Yu