[10GMMF] Customer Issues with LRM

>Dear Colleagues:

My job has changed a bit at Cisco and now I am focused more on booking
revenues on a daily and monthly basis so I doubt I shall be able to attend
the Plenary.

I would like to sum up my perspective on customer requirements for LRM for
the project to consider if we really hope to deliver a successful
technology to the market. The data is based on 1) I am a customer and 2)
interaction with my customers.

Distance
The clear requirement is for LRM to reach 300 meters. Anything less at this
point is a non starter. The bar is not 220 meters with 1000BASE-SX on MMF
but the fact that 10GBASE-SR and 10GBASE-LX4 are shipping and both reach
300 meters. Customers have the clear requirement to go 300 meters on MMF
both installed and the new OM3 fiber.  This is reality today.

Offset launches
Customers (my customers) and me (a customer) need one LRM solution for 50
and 62.5 micron fiber.  I am not convinced that one offset launch condition
will be optimal for both 62.5 and 50 micron fiber.  I and my customers
would rather deal with the complexity of a dedicated MCP than with two
different products with different built in offsets. Based on engineering
experience with a related project, I am also not convinced that an internal
offset will offer any cost savings on the module cost over the cost of a
module plus MCP.

Thanks

Bruce

Bruce Tolley