Re: IEEE 802.3 Requirements

Michael M. Salzman wrote:

> Hi Bruce, Ed, et al,
>
> My experience is that on average no installer tests fiber for any thing
> other than connectivity.  To imagine that these fellows will carefully
> follow some timeconsuming and deliberate procedure to check out the cable is
> wishful thinking.  You are right that DMD is an innate 'feature' of most
> installed base fibers.  The ethernet community only recently discovered its
> ubiquity and impact.  Nevertheless we can expect the vast unwashed masses to
> blithely ignore any special handling and testing requirements untill their
> installation fails to come up and then they will search for causes.
>
> In the case of 10 Gig, due to its novelty and likely expense, I think we can
> lay down new standards for fiber to support it, and customers would go along
> with the concept.  For those stubborn souls who insist on deploying the
> technology on existing fiber, I think the 10GEA can develop recommended test
> procedures and recommended equipment sets, and perhaps work with BICSI to
> develop a "gigabit technician" certification program.   If we do not address
> this prosaic aspect of our industry we are doomed to seeing more trial and
> error installations.
>
> Mike.

Mike,

There are handheld test units for single mode fiber that will determine
the attenuation of the fiber.  I would imagine that such things exist
for MMF as well.  Professional installation people should already have
them.

I think that specifying minimum operational fiber requirements for MMF
and SMF with 10GbE is a good idea.  I have had to trouble shoot fiber
and cable plant before.  Without a minimum specification it is sometimes
difficult to justify, with management, upgrading to the proper physical
meda.  A standard will help those people who have to install and support
10GbE.

					Thank you,
					Roy Bynum