RE: 10G-BASE-T question

I agree with Matt.  If you wanted to use the 156 MHz clock to drive the
receive MAC, you'd either have to go 64 bits wide or add a PLL.  The PLL
is very ugly.  The other concern I have with a wide, high speed bus is
SSO (simultaneous switched outputs).  Switching 32 outputs at 156 or 312
MHz increases the power/ground requirements and the possible noise.

I'm curious why we seem to be talking about pumping the raw data across
the mii (media independent interface), instead of performing some form
of data compression scheme, or possibly re-using some of the techniques
used in 1000BASE-T.  Data compression is not my area of expertise, so if
anyone else has ideas to contribute, please do.

Thanks,
Brad

Brad Booth
bbooth@xxxxxxxxxx
Level One Communications, Austin Design Center
(512) 407-2135 office
(512) 589-4438 cellular