RE: Distance objective <-> Install base objective

Rich,

See below.

I assume that you meant something like: "This distance objective is then met
by any media" and PHY combination "... that can attain or exceed this
distance."

I interpret this to mean that the intent is for the HSSG (and its follow-on
task force) to specify the PHYs and correspondingly determine what MEDIA /
distance combinations will work.

I interpret this to mean that the HSSG will *NOT* look at the current
capabilities (specifications as specified in ISO/IEC 11801; 11801-A; etc)
and distance requirements for each MEDIA type and then design the PHYs that
will work thereon.

Is this a correct interpretation of these statements and the objective(s) of
your motion? By the way, the questions below were not meant to be
rhetorical.

jonathan