Re: 9.584640

Hon,

The amount of OC192 that is going into the transport network in the US is
staggering.  The 2 million ports that forecast was for one transport vendor
only.  There are at least four more vendors (not allowed to use names) that have
similar forecasts.  That makes the overall forecast for OC192 ports closer to 10
million.

I work for one of several common carrier service providers that is going to be
deploying a massive amount of OC192 for the next several years.  We are even
deploying OC192 in metro systems.

What should not be a surprise is that the majority ( over 80% ) of the new
traffic on the OC192 systems will be data.  Much of these systems will be OC192C
systems directly from data elements such as routers and other data switches.
This is the market that 10GbE will be competing in.  If it has an encumbrance
because it requires all green field systems, it will not have the impact that
802.3 normally has in spite of the tradition of commodity prices.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum
MCI WorldCom