Re: [Fwd: RE: Does Ten-Gigabit Ethernet need fault tolerance?]

Thomas,

At present, there is no such thing as commercial LANs.  All LANs at present
are privately owned.  There are some service providers that provide
transparent LAN extension services.  I wonder if you would be surprised to
learn that these were LANE over ATM over SONET.  SONET restoration is often
used for the transport path link.  ATM restoration is used for nodal or
switch failures only.   Upper layer protocols are also more likely to be
used for response to nodal failures than link failures.  The use of ATM is
the main reasons that these services are so expensive today.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum
MCI WorldCom