Re: Please help to clarify some things!

Henry,

In your document, your first and second drawings are somewhat correct.  I doubt
that 10GbE would ever be implemented as you are showing it in your third
drawing.  In your first drawing, you need to add a fiber plant that has things
like splice points every 5 km at most, access to the fiber cable by people that
have nothing to do with your data, and other issues.  The traditional 802.3 LAN
environment was outgrown when full duplex 802.3 over optical transport was
standardized.  It is even possible to take full duplex 100BaseFX over WAN
distances with optical converters that are sold by several different vendors.
As seen by individuals that are attempting to create manageable enterprise
level data networks with GbE, full duplex 10Gb 802.3 is in need of protocol
level operations support functionality in order to grow to its true potential.

Thank you
Roy Bynum
MCI WorldCom

Henry Ngai wrote:

> Hello Roy,
>
> I have put together my thoughts on the need for HSSG Ethernet to support
> WAN. Please take a look at my attached file and let me know what you think.
> It will help me greatly in understanding your need with 10G Ethernet.
> Thanks!
>
> Henry Ngai

>                Name: Oamp.pdf
>    Oamp.pdf    Type: Portable Document Format (application/pdf)
>            Encoding: base64

Oamp.pdf