A suggested guiding principle for 10GbE WAN design

All:
Now that Howard Frazier has come up with a good solution for separating the
10GbE WAN for carriers from the LAN issues, we still need a 10GbE WAN
solution for the rest of us.

The guiding design principle I would like to suggest is this: "Can the 18
year old kid who manages my LAN also manage my WAN?  Can he use the same
test gear and management equipment for the LAN to manage the WAN?"

Let me you a real world example:

Many of our school boards and municipalities are deploying dark fiber
networks.  To date they are driving the fiber with FastE or GigE switches
and/or transceivers.  In many cases the links are only 1-5 km and so off the
shelf equipment equipment will work quite well.  However, in every school
board or municipality there is usually one or two schools that are 10-50km
(sometimes 100-200km) away.  These school boards and municipalities do not
want to have to buy special optical equipment, test gear and management
systems for these links.  All they want is another blade or interface to
drive to be able to deliver data to those remote destinations.  In some
cases they will have to install one or more intermediate regenerators
(usually just another switch).  Again they will refuse to buy special test
gear and management equipment for just that one piece of equipment.

This model also extends to many of corporate campus participants as well.
In that case they usually have 2 separate drak fiber links for redundancy
and reliability.  But again, they don't want technology that requires
special equipment or knowledge.

There has been a lot of discussion if using some form of SONET or SONET lite
for 10GbE WAN.  That may be fine for the carrier market. But I doubt if it
will work for the scenario given above. More importantly there is a lot of
work in ITU and OIF and elsewhere to define that standard.

I think HSSG should concentrate on the technical space of extending the LAN
into the WAN and not the other way around.  We need and want a technology
for the WAN that the 18 year old kid who runs my LAN can understand and
manage without the need of special training, test equipment and management
systems.

Fiber is cheap, cheap, cheap.  Encoding efficiency is not a big deal for
this customer base. 8b/10b will be just fine thank you.  So the closer we
can remain to the LAN standards the better.

When ( and if ) we have to connect to a carrier network to extend our 10GbE
extreme long distances will we require the special WAN 10GbE as discussed at
length on this list

Bill

Bill St. Arnaud
Senior Director Network Projects