Re: Hari and train-up sequences

Hello all,

I would like to add a comment: the 1000BASE-T PCS, which is
used in the  "PAM-5 + 4-WDM at 1.25 Gbaud/s" approach (*),
takes care automatically of the link initialization problem and deals
explicitly and solves all the potential problems that you describe
in your email below.

The information about the status of the local and remote receivers
is contained in the transmitted IDLEs . Each  receiver has plenty of
IDLEs for deskewing and both partners in the link know when the
other one has synchronized its receiver, locked its PLL and is ready
to receive frames.  The PCS takes care that no partner will begin
sending frames until both sides of the link have synchronized
completely their receivers and  communicated this information to
the other partner.

And, if during normal frame transmission one of the partners looses
lock, it will automatically communicate this immediately to its partner
on the other side (through info embedded in the IDLEs it transmits).
The partner on the other side will stop sending frames and will begin
sending IDLEs as well until complete synchronization is attained again.

There is no need to declare that the link has failed and go back to
autonegotiation.

(*) see presentation "300 meters on installed MMF", Kauai meeting

Jaime

Jaime E. Kardontchik
Micro Linear
San Jose, CA 95131