RE: Hari as 10 Gig Fibre Channel

Roy,

I read your email and as someone who has worked on IEEE 802.3 standards
developments in the past and is looking forward to working on more in the
future, I felt a bit insulted.  If you don't like the Hari proposal, that is
fine but don't make non-technical arguments and accusations in hopes of
having it thrown out.

As a system architect and a silicon designer, I like that Hari is being
proposed.  I like having standardized interfaces, as it allows me to
partition my design as I see fit.  If I should decide to interface to a PMD
device, I would like the PMD to use the same interface protocol as I do.
That may end up being Hari for a LAN PMD or something else for a WAN PMD.  I
also like that it is an interface that may see a broad spectrum of
applications (FC, Infiniband, etc.) as this helps to increase the
availability and reduce the cost.

As for Hari, it is just a proposal that's on the table.  It may not be the
final solution that we standardize.  Anyone designing a product prior to the
standardization of 802.3ae understands that the product may not be standards
compliant.  Such was the case with 802.3z, and such will be the case with
802.3ae.  There will be companies that are able to show products first,
because they've participated in the standards development and hedged their
bets.  The advantage to the HSSG is that will enable a proof of concept and
show the market that 10 GbE is viable.  It will also help us develop the
standard, much like the early 802.3z products helped develop the 802.3z
standard.

I would respectfully request that you apologize to those that have made the
Hari proposal.

Sincerely,
Brad Booth