Re: 8b/10b and EMI

Tom,

Joel's presentation slide 41 says it is using Data Pattern 1 megabit in length
using PRBS and that the 8B/10B Pattern is an encoded data pattern. This seems to
be in conflict with what I heard Joel say at the meeting, the very discrete
spectral lines shown in slide 43, and this note from you which says that the
8B/10B pattern is actually an 8B/10B Idle sequence. Please clarify since this
makes a HUGE difference and renders the presentation as irrelevant.

Please see my note to Joel sent to this reflector earlier today that analyzes
this issue in detail.

In a nutshell, a fair apples to apples EMI comparison should pit the exact
8B/10B Idle pattern proposed for XAUI @ 3.125 Gbaud vs. an SLP protocol based
Idle pattern @ 2.5 Gbaud. If it's not SLP then describe exactly what it is that
you're running over XAUI as a 4-lane protocol which meets all of the objectives
of a XAUI protocol as does 8B/10B.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

Tom Truman wrote:

> Ron,
>
> Look at Joel Goergen's presentation from the March 2000 meeting --
> he has spectral plots of 8b/10b Idle sequences compared to
> scrambled -- there is at least a 10dB reduction in power for the
> scrambled version.
>
> Tom Truman
> Bell Laboratories
>
> Ron Miller wrote:
> >
> > Hi Ed
> >
> > All those that I know in fibre channel using GBICs has had problems when
> > the idle signal is sent.   I do not know yet whether 8B/10B is the culprit,
> > but
> > idle signal sure seems to have accentuated the problem compared to a random
> > data stream.
> >
> > Has anyone done a spectral analysis of 46b/66b vs 8b/10b with idle
> > characters continuous?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > ron miller
> >
> > Edward Chang wrote:
> >
> > > Tom, Rick and all:
> > >
> > > If the only reason to scramble the 8B/10B code is to minimize the
> > > probability of EMI emission caused by the occasional, repetitive IDLE
> > > signal, we may have to ask ourselves a question: have we done enough home
> > > work to prove it is required?  Even a simple circuit, it is not free.
> > >
> > > So far, in the real industry-wide installations, no one has the 8B/10B IDLE
> > > EMI problem.  Furthermore, no one has proved that 8B/10B IDLE signals will
> > > cause EMI problem for 10 GbE in an enclosed environment.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Edward S. Chang
> > > NetWorth Technologies, Inc.
> > > EChang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > > Tel: (610)292-2870
> > > Fax: (610)292-2872

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxx
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com