Re: XAUI, XGMII extender?

Walt,

I have never viewed XAUI/XGXS as REQUIRING the XGMII. XGMII has always been
proposed as an optional interface as was XAUI/XGXS. Therefore, XAUI/XGXS is
proposed as an additional interface. It was then located in the stack between
the XGMII and PCS.

I don't believe that there were ever any presentations made to the HSSG nor any
reflector discussion requiring an XGMII for XAUI. The only folks I ever hear
suggesting such a requirement are those that dislike XAUI/XGXS for one reason or
another, mostly because it's not SONET.

The XGMII and XAUI/XGXS directly follow the well proven and flexible 1000-BASE-X
architecture where both the GMII and TBI are optional. Requiring the XGMII is
not consistent with the evolution of 1 GbE products where the SerDes (PMA) has
moved into the MAC/PHY ASIC in many instances to reduce product cost and enable
higher port densities.

In the past year of HSSG work I have noted a strong desire for an inexpensive
and generic method of providing 10 Gbps chip-to-chip interconnects over PCB
traces available from a significantly large number of multiple vendors this
year. This interconnect goes a long way towards meeting the Economic Feasibility
PAR Criteria element. Please don't encumber it by REQUIRING that XAUI/XGXS be
placed somewhere into the architecture stack solely for the purpose of making it
more expensive than it needs to be.

Let's get down to the root issue here. This all started with Mr. Ben Brown's
questioning of coding /A/K/R/ in a 64B/66B subframe rather than just the /I/s
generated at the reconciliation sublayer. The XGMII actually has nothing to do
with the root issue. I'd much rather be helping Ben resolve this issue than
writing these notes :-)

Extending the XGMII with XAUI/XGXS just to provide another XGMII on the other
side is simply not optimal from an architecture or implementation viewpoint.
Early prototypes 10 GbE solutions may do this, but so what. They would be
standard compliant anyway since our current direction reflected in Brad's
documentation structure is to not specify the interface between the XGXS and
PCS. Therefore, it could be an XGMII. It seems that all implementations
envisioned about XGMII and XAUI/XGXS are allowed and standard compliant. I then
have to go back to the root issue in the last paragraph because I fail to see
another one. Please help!

Best Regards,
Rich

--

Walter Thirion wrote:

> Rich,
>
> I totally agree that no final decisions have been made with respect to
> interfaces, coding, etc. However, I think a consensus has been forming
> around XGMII with XAUI as a potential extender. To change at this point and
> propose XAUI as an additional i/f may be ok, but you need to recognize that
> it is different from the discussions we have been having.
>
> Walt

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxx
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com