Re: 16-bit 625Mbaud XGMII

Jaime Kardontchik wrote:

> Jonathan Thatcher wrote:
>
> > Jaime makes an excellent point here. In fact, it wasn't as bad as it might
> > have been because the parallel I/O of the chip were probably already 8B/10B
> > encoded (please verify Jaime) and were therefore much closer to a
> > differential interface than will be true with the XGMII. Simultaneous
> > switching noise is such a pain.
> >
> > Speed is not the only reason high speed chips use differential logic. It is
> > also much easier to control noise.
> >
> > jt
> >

> Jonathan,
>
> The 8b/10b is a good coder so why blame it for
> something that it does not deserve ? ...
>
> The 266 MHz chip I designed included the two PLLs, SERDES
> and 8b/10b coder (I designed the PLLs and SERDES,
> a colleague of mine designed the 8b/10b) and it
> included two options: 1) bypass the 8b/10b, or 2) use
> the 8b/10b. The reason for these two options was that
> some customers had already included the 8b/10b in their
> upper layer chip.
>
> Hence, at the receiver side, the output drivers either
> delivered the raw octets of data ("MII" interface) or
> the 10-bit wide 8b/10b-encoded symbols to the "MAC".
>
> In principle, if we deliver encoded symbols to the
> "MAC" we will have more switching noise, specially
> because the 8b/10 coder is so rich in transitions.
>
> And if we deliver raw octets of data to the "MAC"
> we will have, in principle, less switching noise
> (imagine, for example, that your raw data consists
> of "all '1's": you will not have any switching noise
> at all from the output drivers, they would stay 'high'
> all the time).
>
> Therefore, from the point of view of switching noise
> the 8b/10b would make things worse (and not the opposite,
> as you suggested).
>
> However, I will end this note emphasizing my opening
> sentence:
>
> Both in the 266 MHz Fiber Channel chip I designed
> in the past and in the present 10 GbE chips we are
> talking about, the coding scheme (8b/10b or scrambling)
> is really unrelated to the problem of the switching noise
> generated by the 32 output drivers. You will have to
> fight in practice the same amount of switching noise
> in both cases.

As usual in SI issues, That Depends.

If the lines are unterminated (reflected-wave switching) and
the symbol time is long enough for the drivers to approach
zero-current states, you're  75% right.  75%, because the
worst case transition in the 8b/10b case is six lines rising
or falling (the others will go the other way).  That *does*
mean less SSO, and also means less edge uncertainty and thus
more timing margin.

If, OTOH, the lines are shunt-terminated at the characteristic
impedance of the lines, the worst-case transition is from 6/4
to 4/6 instead of 0/8 to 8/0 and you have a tremendous reduction
in SSO and a corresponding improvement in timing margin.

8b/10b isn't really optimal for this kind of noise reduction;
I prefer 4b/6b and 6b/8b for general purpose work.  The lower
bit efficiency is an acceptable price to pay for the lower
latency and the perfect balance, and the pin budget is still
a net gain over hyperbolic increases in supply connections.

--
D. C. Sessions
dc.sessions@xxxxxxxx