Re: Unified PMD vs. Unified PHY

Ariel,

The duality can be expressed in a decision matrix:

CAN I use this PHY in this implementation?

                                             LAN     |     WAN
                                       --------------------------
             LAN only PHY |       Yes     |      No      |
                                ---  --------------------------
 WAN compatible PHY |      Yes      |      Yes    |
                                       --------------------------

Would this PHY be NECESSARY for this implementation?  (In other words, must
I use this PHY and not the other one?)

                                             LAN     |     WAN
             LAN only PHY |        No     |      No      |
 WAN compatible PHY |       No      |      Yes    |

I would rather have separate PHYs, LAN only and WAN compatible.  But if
there is to be only one PHY, then the WAN compatible PHY can serve double
duty, the LAN only PHY can not.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum