From: owner-stds-802-3-hssg@xxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-stds-802-3-hssg@xxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Mike Jenkins
Sent: Sunday, April 02, 2000 5:13 PM
To: HSSG
Subject: Re: serdes design vs run length

Joel,

This is in response to your run length question a couple days ago.
Bill Woodruff did a good job describing the PLL design tradeoffs.
I could add a few technical comments (e.g., the need for larger
valued DC blocking caps with good high frequency response, and
the implicit minimum BW requirement to track low-frequency wander
below several hundred kHz), but I don't think that's the main issue.

My connection here is integrated CMOS serdes, so that's where this
response is coming from.  If "cost" means unit cost of a product
still to be developed, then I don't have much to say.  The cost
I would worry about is development-related -- costs of bringing
such a product to market -- technical risks which translate into
schedule risks and, therefore, into missed market opportunities.

To my (admittedly limited) knowledge, most existing 1-3G serdes
assume 8b10b code.  And they owe their existence to a long process
of solving non-trivial design issues.  To my (admittedly biased)
mind, an existing, proven solution counts for more than a few
comparison points against a concept that may or may not have some
small, theoretical technical advantage.

Regards,
Mike

--
 Mike Jenkins               Phone: 408.433.7901            _____
 LSI Logic Corp, ms/G715      Fax: 408.433.7461        LSI|LOGIC| (R)