Re: WAN PHY name

Rich,

I agree that Ethernet Over SONET (EOS) is not a proposal supported
by a majority of P802.3ae. Indeed it is not even a proposal in
P802.3ae. This is a proposal in ANSI/ITU as described in Paul
Bottorff's Why WAN-PHY? proposal.

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/mar00/bottorff_2_0300.pdf

If you are referring to the WAN Connections & WAN PHY requirements
proposal by David Martin,

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/mar00/martin_2_0300.pdf

then this seems liks a pretty strong statement. In fact, at least 75%
of the committee voted to have a WAN PHY in the standard back in the
York, UK, meeting in Septmber, 1999. This motion is cut from the
minutes of that meeting.

Motion #1
Move to adopt as objectives (a slide with the following text)
  1. Speed of 10.000 Gb/s at the MAC/PLS service interface
  2. Define two families of PHYs
    A. A LAN PHY, operating at a data rate of 10.000 Gb/s
    B. A WAN PHY, operating at a data rate which is compatible
       with the payload rate of OC-192c/SDH VC-4-64c
  3. Define a mechanism to adapt the MAC/PLS data rate to the
     data rate of the WAN PHY

Moved: Howard Frazer Second: Paul Bottorff
Technical, requires greater than 75%
Vote: Yes 101 No 0 A 8 Pass

Is it your opinion that if the vote was to be taken over again,
that it go from unanimous to having less than 50% favorability?

Please clarify what you mean by Ethernet Over Sonet.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Benjamin Brown