Re: Interface reality check

Roy,

Absolutely not.

It should be clear that 64B/66B is a single lane serial transmission code which
is embodied in multiple strongly endorsed IEEE P802.3ea proposals. These
include:

a) LAN Serial PHY:
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/mar00/bhatt_1_0300.pdf
b) UniPHY:
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/mar00/frazier_1_0300.pdf

Note that the UniPHY covers all WAN application spaces, whether SONET/SDH or
native Ethernet.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

Roy Bynum wrote:

> Rich,
>
> Are you referring to the LAN only PHY?
>
> Thank you,
> Roy Bynum
>
> --
> >
> > Rick,
> >
> > Agreed. I should have qualified as "pure scrambled" code. 64B/66B
> > certainly does not fit into this category. This is one of the clear
> > benefits of 3.125% overhead.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > Rich
> >
> > --

> > > 64b/66b also supports the measurement of bit error rate by looking at
> > > master transition violations regardless of the information being
> > > transmitted.
> > >
> > > You are right, however, in that 64b/66b is not a pure scrambled code,
> > > but one augmented by periodic frame sync bits.
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > --
> > > Rick Walker

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxx
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com