RE: Interface reality check

Proof:

1) Define simple as being X gates.
2) Determine optimal XGMII to XAUI mapping is 0.8X gates -- simple.
3) Determine optimal XAUI to 64x/66b mapping is 0.8X gates -- simple.
4) Optimal XGMII to 64b/66b mapping is therefore 1.6X gates -- not simple.

I had to respond to this to bring some humor to the discussion.  I don't
personally feel that the above is truly valid -- in our industry most
wouldn't define 2X to be significantly different from X.

However, I don't think that it's right to continue (1) calling XAUI optional
and at the same time (2) saying that the mapping is simple enough that we
shouldn't worry about including it where it isn't strictly needed.

If (1) is the case, then it's the case, period.  Any encoding that depends
on all or part of the XAUI functionality cannot say "this is for free
because it's a part of XAUI", or "these codegroups are propagated through
the XAUI block" it should say "this functionality is required, and it could
be taken from an XAUI block, if one is present."

If (2) is the case, then we should agree that the XAUI encoding is
optionally *exposed* but always implemented.  Then any PHY proposal is free
to assume that the functionality can be used.

The current situation, where PHY presenters aren't sure where there is XAUI,
cannot continue much longer.  If I were trying to propose a PHY, would I
propose the X gate solution that depends on the Y gate XAUI (and get blasted
for assuming XAUI since "it's optional") or would I propose the Z gate (X >
Z > (X+Y)) solution that is independant of XAUI (and get trounced by the Z >
X comparison since "XAUI is for free").  I can't know the right proposal
without knowing what other parts of the system are going to be there, FOR
SURE.

Wasn't that the whole point of nailing down XGMII at the beginning?  To
define a common interface that all PHYs plug into?  Haven't we since
essentially said: "no-one's using XGMII between chips, so here's another
interconnect solution, but it's optional so don't rely on it in your PHYs,
but it has a bunch of features designed to reduce the cost of PHYs, so some
will rely on it, and in truth it's always going to be there so if you aren't
relying on it architecturally, you should still expect to pay for it when
compared to other PHYs..."

The very helpful function that MII/GMII performed -- completely isolating
the MAC and PHY -- has been lost.  We now have an interface that everyone
agrees on but will not actually be visible, XGMII, and with XAUI we have
another interface that has mixed levels of support.

The understanding seems to be that in the near term we'll see
MAC<>XGMII<>XAUI chips mated to XAUI<>WDM or XAUI<>XGMII<>MAS type PHYs,
only going to MAC<>XGMII<>XAUI<>WDM or MAC<>XGMII<>MAS after some time.
But it is important to note that the correct comparison is XGMII<>XAUI<>WDM
versus XGMII<>MAS.  It's not correct to assume XAUI will be there to ease
the implementation of the WDM PHY unless we agree that it's not optional.

To make an analogy... 8B10B TBI @ 125Mhz <> 8B10B serdes @ 1.25GHz was the
initial way to get gigabit over to a fiber.  A popular gigabit choice has
become to integrate the serdes function with the MAC, or at least the 8B10B
encoder with a TBI output (the latter case being helpful because 1.25GHz
serdes processes couldn't perform the 8B10B encoding efficiently).  Copper
gigabit PHYs therefore may, in addition to GMII, include a 1.25GHz serdes
input, and/or a TBI input, followed by an 8B10B decoder, all followed by a
MAS encoder.  This is their choice given the MAC chips prevalent in the
market.

HOWEVER, the gigabit over copper standard was defined as GMII<>MAS and I
doubt that there would have been much support for assuming 8B10B encoding
existing anywhere just because the serdes, for a while, was an efficient way
to get signals between MACs and PHYs.  Likewise, I don't think it's
appropriate to architect the various 10G PHYs assuming that the XAUI is
present -- like TBI it is nothing more than a convenient way, given the
current technologies, to get signals between chips.  It is only an
architectural solution for a subset of PHYs, and therefore should be thought
of as being a part of the PHY just like the 8B10B is considered part of
1000-BaseLX/SX and not gigabit ethernet in general.

-Simon