Re: What is 802.3ae WAN-PHY?

Hi Roy, Hi Dave,

Thank you for your feedback.  Your comments are helpful for me to
understand what was going on in HSSG and T1, since I have joined
HSSG since the Dallas meeting (Jan. 2000) and I have no liaison
to T1.

Before discussing in detail, I think we had better be aware once
again that here is a LAN community, and keep in our mind that we
should be much careful to use WAN terminology.  I use the
following definitions in this mail; please let me know if there
is any inconvenience to you.
 --------------- --------------- ------------ ----------- ------
 expression      Overhead access CLK Accuracy CLK Jitter  Std.
 --------------- --------------- ------------ ----------- ------
 SONET           (almost) full   < +/-20ppm   SONET spec. T1.105
 SONET-compliant reduced         < +/-20ppm   SONET spec. T1.416
 SONET-lite      much reduced    < +/-100ppm  ??????????  ??????
 --------------- --------------- ------------ ----------- ------
 Here I assume that SONET-lite equals WAN-PHY with SONET framer
 proposed in 802.3ae.

I think we can agree on the following two facts;

 (1) There is no SONET-lite standard at present.  All SONET or
     SONET-compliant equipment at present, including the emerging
     non-muxing LTE, should meet +/-20ppm CLK accuracy and SONET
     jitter spec.

 (2) Pointer manipulation mechanism in SONET framer itself has
     the potential to accommodate the CLK difference up to +/-320ppm.

According to Roy, there are some discussions on relaxing the SONET
CLK accuracy for some specific applications in T1 or ITU-T.  That's
news to me; please let me know where I can get the more information
about the discussion.

I have no authority to decide how NTT reacts in ITU-T, but I will
strongly recommend my colleagues who often attend the ITU-T expert
meeting not to approve such standard proposals.  The reasons are;

(1) I know we have at least one SDH system that raises an alarm for
    too many pointer re-writing to indicate wrong CLK accuracy.

(2) It can not be connected to SONET regenerators.  This implies
    that it is not a SYNCHROUNOUS system any more.  I see no reason
    to define 'plezioisosynchronous' system with SONET framer which
    is optimized for SYNCHRONOUS systems.  Note that we have a
    serious trade-off between CLK accuracy and jitter transfer in a
    SONET regenerator (you can read it in SYNCHRONUS transport systems).
    I think this is what Erik has pointed out in his recent comment.
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/10G_study/email/msg02157.html

(3) I'm afraid that it would nominate the client path; only OC-192c
    or some small variations could be carried through non-muxing LTE.
    We will lose flexibility to accommodate any combination of OC-1,3,
    12,48,192.  Or we require very heavy Line terminating circuit to
    re-write up to 192 pointers independently.

Above consideration tells me that, if we use the SONET framing,
we had better keep +/- 20ppm accuracy to be compliant to SONET.
Then it can be connected directly to existing SONET regenerators and
WDM active transponders.  We don't need to pay the SONET-framing
charge twice for WAN-PHY and ELTE.  And again, I don't believe
SONET regenerator for 10GbE is a good choice unless you have already
invested in it.
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/10G_study/email/msg01869.html

Best Regards,
Osamu