Re: Issues in mapping Ethernet signal to SONET

All,

From recent reflector emails, there still appears to be
some misunderstanding regarding our WAN PHY proposal.
The following list summarizes the technical presentations
we've made. They together completely specify our WAN PHY
proposal.

A complete specification:
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/10G_study/public/nov99/figueira_2_1199.pdf

A presentation of the PCS1 function (i.e., length-type-CRC
coding scheme):
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/10G_study/public/jan00/figueira_1_0100.pdf

A presentation of the PCS2 function (i.e.,SONET
compatibility function):
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/mar00/figueira_1_0300.pdf

Supporting documents/presentations

Why WAN PHY:
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/mar00/bottorff_2_0300.pdf

10GE WAN PHY Delineation Performance:
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/10G_study/public/email_attach/delineation_perf_v3.doc
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/10G_study/public/jan00/martin_2_0100.pdf

About our revised terminology

Our revised terminology defines PCS1 and PCS2 as the two main
functions within the PCS. There is still only one PCS. The PCS1
contains the MAC packet delineation function, while the PCS2
contains the SONET compatibility function with minimum overhead
support. (In our older terminology, PCS = PCS1 and PMA = PCS2.)

The PCS2

The PCS2 does not support a full SONET framer. Because of this,
in this email I am calling it a "PCS2 framer" and not a SONET framer.
The PCS2 frame does not have 192 pointers, 192 B2s,  or 192 STS1s
to worry about. One cannot directly compare a full SONET framer
with the proposed PCS2 framer.

The PCS2 frame synchronization algorithm is similar to the
one used in 64/66 to sync to 0/1 bits. The main difference is
that the one in the PCS2 looks for A1/A2 octets instead of
0/1 bits. A1/A2 transitions are used as frame markers in SONET.
All the operations after frame alignment are octet-oriented.

At the transmitter side, the PCS2 calculates a few overhead
bytes (B1, B3, and G1) and transmits others with fixed or static
values. The generation of the PCS2 frame only requires counters to
determine overhead positions (e.g., the B1 octet is always the
17281th octet of a frame) and to determine the location of
the payload area. Besides this, the PCS2 frame is scrambled
with x^7+x^6+1.

At the receiver side, the PCS2 frame is descrambled, and the
overheads are retrieved by looking at their fixed positions
inside the frame.

Another function that is required at the receiver side is a
pointer processor, i.e., only one pointer processor. This is not
a complicated function. The PCS2 frame has a pointer on
the H1/H2 octets that can be incremented, decremented, or set to
a new value.  The receiver PHY uses the pointer value to locate
the first octet of the SPE (this is SONET terminology for
Synchronous Payload Envelope). At the transmitter side, the PCS2
always transmits PCS2 frames with a same fixed pointer value.

Note that a pointer processor is required because the pointer
value may be changed by a SONET transport network. The pointer
may change when the receiver side of an LTE has a slightly different
clock from the one on the transmitter side. This is exactly the
mechanism an ELTE will use between the +-100ppm clock of the
10GE WAN PHY and the SONET network clock.

Note: I am using SONET terminology to simplify exposition.
The WAN PHY proposal is also compatible with SDH.

The PCS1

The PCS1 encodes MAC packets and sends them to the PCS2.
In theory, the PCS1 can use length-type-CRC, SLP, or
64/66. In practice, coding schemes with zero overhead and that
keep octet alignment make more sense for the WAN PHY.

Our proposed length-type-CRC coding scheme has zero overhead,
provides a very robust delineation scheme (see reference above),
is a proven technology (e.g., see ATM HEC system), and is octet
oriented. The issue of determining the length of packets can be
very easily resolved by counting the bytes at the PCS. This takes
only about 1.2 microseconds of delay for maximum length packets.

The length-type-CRC scheme replaces idles with 10-octet Idle
Packets. Idle Packets are only generated when required. One
nice property of the length-type-CRC scheme is that packet
headers and Idle Packets are protected by a CRC-16 (which can
detect burst errors of up to 16 bits and can correct single-bit
errors). Idle Packets and packet headers have a similar
format: Length (2 octets), Reserved (5 octets reserved
for future use), Type (1 octet), and HEC (2 octets for CRC-16).

The length-type-CRC scheme maintains synchronization by using
the validated Length value of a packet header or Idle Packet
to locate the next header (i.e., either a packet header or
an Idle Packet), which it validates against the HEC (i.e.,
CRC-16 of the header), and so on.

Please refer to our presentations and posted documents for
more details.

I hope this helps clarify a few points.

Best regards,
Norival