Re: XAUI/XGXS

Ed,

XAUI/XGXS is located between the RS and PCS. It is PCS independent. As such, it
offers both the WWDM and Serial PMDs a means to start off with a reasonable PMD
jitter budget, due to the ability to perform jitter attenuation at the point of
location of the PCS.

A physical instantiation of a WWDM link may employ XAUI/XGXS to go across long
(e.g. ~20") PCB traces between a chip implementing the MAC/RS and as transceiver
module. An "eye-opener" circuit or full retimer circuit within the transceiver
module may be used to meet link jitter requirements. In this case, the XAUI/XGXS
acts as an "agent" for the PCS/PMA. This instantiation requires, of course, that
the WWDM PCS/PMA employ the same coding and singaling as XAUI/XGXS.

I'll provide more details on this at the Ottawa meeting.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

Edward Chang wrote:

> Rich:
>
> Thanks for very elaborated explanation of XAUI/XGXS, and it is very clear.
> I appreciate that.
>
> In general, I do not have problems with the objectives set by HRRI (or
> XAUI/XGXS), and I think those features - deskew, clock frequency
> compensation, error control, EMI-- are good design goals for a general
> purpose parallel runs.  Even for an application which does not need all of
> them, they will not cause reverse affect anyway.  I may not quite agree with
> all your reasoning of requirements for a case design -- 10GbE WWDM system;
> nevertheless, they are good reasons for general purpose parallel run design.
> Besides, XAUI/XGXS is an option.
>
> I believe your presentation of showing XAUI/XGXS being located between
> Reconciliation and PCS layers in a Reference Model is mainly for a serial
> application.  As you mentioned in the WWDM application, the whole XAUI/XGXS
> functions are actually distributed among PCS, PMA and extended to the inputs
> of PMD.  Therefore, the Reference Model for parallel WWDM link is different
> from a serial link.  I believe it is not an important issue anyway?
>
> Regards,
>
> Edward S. Chang
> NetWorth Technologies, Inc.
> EChang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Tel: (610)292-2870
> Fax: (610)292-2872

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxx
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com