RE: Subject: Survey of lengths of installed optical fiber cable

Chris,

One of the initial requirements in the creation of a standard is the
definition of objectives. I think we did a very good job of that in 10GBE.
As has been pointed out before, these discussions are a reprise of the ones
we had when we originally defined the objectives. Someone needing a generic
10GB link can find it in one of the PMD's meeting the objectives we've
defined. I think we now risk violating Occam's Razor; multiplying PMD's
beyond necessity.

Jay