Re: PMD discussion

Seto,

I thought about giving 8B/10B over 4-channel WDM a different name for my
"Wide/Coarse WDM LAN PCS/PMA" presentation in Ottawa:
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/may00/taborek_3_0500.pdf.
However, I decided not to since doing so may only confuse the issue.

1) It is well understood that 8B/10B is the the primary proposal for the LAN WDM
PCS;
2) Any name, such as "Hari" and "SUPI" will be removed by the committee in favor
of an architectural layer, sublayer or interface. For the WDM case, 8B/10B is
the PCS;
3) Idle pattern randomization is a minor attribute of the code which need not be
highlighted with a new name. The randomization is universally applicable to all
4-channel 8B/10B transports including XAUI and the WDM PCS.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

"Seto, Koichiro" wrote:

> [Date: 05/28/2000  From Seto]
>
> Yes, something called SUPI (Simple Universal PMD I/F) has been proposed by
> Paul Bottorff.  See his presentation at IEEE802.3ae May interim.  I assume
> this is a part of WAN PHY PMA.
>
> to Rich,
> I'd suggest that you give a new name for your 8B10B x 4ch coding scheme for
> WWDM which includes idle pattern randomization.  Any idea?
>
> Seto

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxx
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com