RE: 1310 nm vs. 1550 nm links greater than 40 km

Raj,
Meeting our longest distance objective requires at least 40 km distance
capability. This objective could be achieved without amplification,
dispersion compensation, or regeneration. These additional techniques appear
to be required to support link lengths beyond 40 km. But achieving distances
beyond 40km, while possibly useful, is beyond the requirement. Therefore
802.3ae is not REQUIRED to address the specifications for any of these link
extension elements or to provide PMD functionality that ensures
compatibility with these elements. While 802.3ae is not required to do so,
it is also not prohibited from doing so, if that is the will of the task
force. But we must recognize the additional work load this may represent and
the resultant tightening of the 40 km PMD specification that could result.

Link extension techniques like optical amplification and dispersion
compensation do not necessarily tighten or change the requirements on the 40
km optics if 1550 nm nominal wavelength is selected. But, embracing these
techniques in the standard means addressing the concept of engineered links,
which is a new area for 802.3, and could involve much work. If we choose
1310 nm nominal wavelength, then the most commonly deployed optical
amplification devices would not work, so additional power budget is required
to exceed 40 km. But on the plus side, dispersion compensation would not be
needed for 1310 nm systems, so we avoid dealing with engineered links. The
task force must reconcile these choices as we make PMD selections. At this
point it seems that the 1550 nm route is in the lead, but the wavelength
choice trade-offs have not received vigorous debate at the standards
meetings, only to a small degree on the reflector.

My suggestion for those who wish to employ regeneration would be to rely on
transport thru SONET/SDH compliant systems rather than impose ever more
stringent requirements on the 802.3ae 40 km PMD. Otherwise we risk imposing
SONET/SDH cost structures on Ethernet.

Regards,
Paul Kolesar
Lucent Technologies