RE: Nomenclature poll...

Brad,

I prefer your latest naming scheme much better. An opaque set of
2-letter suffixes (SX, LW, etc) seems a lot easier to deal with than an
utterly descriptive string such as 10GBASE-S4A1W (10G Ethernet,
short wavelength, 4 wavelengths, 8B/10B coding, one fiber, WAN
PCS). (I tried out the latter on my sysadmin, and his response was
roughly "Huh? And I'm supposed to write that **** on my purchase
reqs?")

Regards,

- Tom

Brad Booth wrote:
--------------

	I've been giving more thought to this too.  What I've come up with
is the
	following:
	*       10GBASE-VX - 850nm serial LAN (V for VSR)
	*       10GBASE-MX - 1310nm serial LAN (M for Metro)
	*       10GBASE-EX - 1550nm serial LAN
	*       10GBASE-SX - 850nm WDM LAN
	*       10GBASE-LX - 1310nm WDM LAN

	The WAN implementations would substitute "W" for the "X".

	If the number of PMDs should drop, we could realign the favorite
suffixes
	accordingly.

	Cheers,
	Brad