Equalization

Vipul, David,
             We proposed equalization for 10Gig Ethernet in our Dallas and
Albuquerque presentations:

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/10G_study/public/jan00/agazzi_1_0100.pdf
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/mar00/agazzi_1_0300.pdf
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/mar00/parhi_1_0300.pdf
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/mar00/yousefi_1_0300.pdf

Although our presentations were focused on the idea of multilevel modulation,
all of them use equalization as an essential ingredient. As we pointed out in
Dallas and Albuquerque, the three basic ingredients of our proposal are:

                  -multilevel modulation
                  -equalization
                  -trellis coding

and they can be used in combination or independently. Equalization can be
applied to binary modulation in the context of any of the proposals currently
being considered by 802.3ae. In its most basic form, it would not require any
changes to the proposals, and is a technique that can be left to the implementer.
However an alternative is to do transmitter equalization (also called Tomlinson-Harashima
precoding). If 802.3ae chose to incorporate this technique, it would have to
be specified by the standard. I think this is unlikely to happen, so perhaps
we should limit our discussion to receiver equalization.

The presentations listed above have references to seminal papers on
equalization. Here are some of the references I found very useful:

1] K.L.Kasper, "Equalization of Multimode Optical Fiber Systems",
Bell System Technical Journal, Vol.61, No.7, September 1982, pp.1367-1387

2] S.D.Personick, "Baseband Linearity and Equalization in Fiber Optic Digital
Communication Systems", Bell System Technical Journal, Vol.52, No.7, September
1973, pp.1175-1194

3] J.H.Winters and R.D.Gitlin, "Electrical Signal Processing Techniques in
Long-Haul Fiber-Optic Systems", IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol.38,
No.9, September 1990, pp.1439-1453

4] J.H.Winters, R.D.Gitlin, and S.Kasturia, "Reducing the Effects of Transmission
Impairments in Digital Fiber Optic Systems", IEEE Communications Magazine,
June 1993, pp.68-76.

Although I don't know of any products that use digital equalization for optical
channels, the reason may be, as Vipul points out, that so far the bandwidth of
the optical channel has been sufficient to achieve the required data rate
objectives without the need for equalization. However that is beginning to
change. Implementation of equalization techniques at symbol rates of 3.125 or
10 GBaud is challenging, but we believe it is feasible, and our Albuquerque
presentations by Keshab Parhi and Nariman Yousefi address the DSP and analog
issues respectively.

I think Vipul's idea of actively discussing equalization in this task force is
a great one.

Regards,
Oscar

Oscar E. Agazzi