Re: A Question about "Inter Packet Gap and SOP Lane alignment"

Sanjeev,

Your questions are very good ones. It's difficult to balance trying to
stick to a single issue in a thread without having questions like yours
come up. This is especially true when multiple issues are being
discussed in this single email thread already as I'm hesitant to address
any more. The issue of who inserts and removes LSS information is yet
another issue. Since you asked, I'll address it.

1) LSS is proposed as a LAN PHY layer transport for management
information including Break Link, Remote Fault and SONET compatible
OAM&P.

2) LSS information is architected to be transported over all LAN PHY
interfaces including the XGMII, XAUI, XBI and the medium (did I get all
of them?). This means that all encoded interfaces need to be able to
encode, decode LSS information.

3) Exactly where LSS information is inserted and removed from the PHY is
implementation dependent.

4) All LSS information for transport is generated by management and not
the Physical or Data Link layers. For example, Remote Fault is sensed by
management as a fault condition on the incoming link and reported as a
message to be transported by LSS on the outgoing link. This is followed
by the recognition of the LSS message containing Remote Fault by the
remote device and an indication of the Remote Fault report to management
entity at the remote device.

5) LSS information may be inserted and removed at any LAN PHY sublayer
including the Reconciliation Sublayer, XGXS, PCS, PMA and even the PMD.

6) All LSS information must be removed from the Idle stream before
Idles, in the form of IPG, are passed to the MAC. The obvious "firewall"
for LSS information is the Reconciliation sublayer.

7) LSS information may be inserted and removed into a LAN PHY link more
than once between Ethernet devices in order to manage complex fiber
optic cable plants which may include elements such as media converters,
wavelength converters, amplifiers, signal regenerators, optical
switches, etc.

Now... back to your specific question:

Let's use the Remote Fault example I started with in bullet item #4
above and consider a Serial LAN PHY with XGMII, XAUI and XBI interfaces
on both link ends. Lets also introduce the Remote Fault LSS message at
the Reconciliation sublayer in Device A. The configuration looks like
this and is identical for both Devices A and B:

+------+
+------+    +----+         +----+   +---+   +---+
|      |===>|    |========>|    |==>|   |-->|   |----->
| MAC  |--->|XGXS|         |XGXS|   |PMA|   |PMD|
|  RS  |<---|    |         |PCS |   |   |   |   |
|      |<===|    |<========|    |<==|   |<--|   |<-----
+------+    +----+         +----+   +---+   +---+
       XGMII         XAUI        XBI             Medium
                           b'01'
    x'1C,1'        K28.1   x'4B52'
    x'52,0'        D18.2   x'52CE'      x'14B5252CE0000'
    x'52,0'        D18.2   x'0000'
    x'CE,0'        D14.6   x'0000'

The Remote Fault message is shown in its appropriate format at every
point along its journey from Device A management to the medium. The RF
message is extracted by the RS in Device B and passed to its management
entity. For purposes of 64B/66B coding for the Serial PHY PCS I've used
the LSS message followed by an /R/ column encoded within one 66B frame.

Hopefully, this answers your questions with the exception of the /E/,
which I don't understand.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

Sanjeev Mahalawat wrote:

> [...]
> >applicable to Ethernet, Fibre Channel, InfiniBand, OIF, proprietary backplane,
> >etc. applications.
> >
> >Boaz,
> >
> >As I pointed out in a prior note on this thread, lane-to-lane deskew CANNOT be
> >performed with the SOP column, and therefore, with LSS columns since there the
> >spacing of the alignment reference is less than the maximum lane-to-lane skew in
> >some environments. The specific environment which breaks your suggestion is 1550
> >WDM with its large lane-to-lane skew. Please consider the following:
> >
> >8B/10B encoded stream at transmitter:
> >
> >.....KRLRRKRLKSDDDDDDDTKRSDDDDDDDTKRSDDDDDDDTKRLKRRR.....
> >.....KRDRRKRDKDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDKRRR.....
> >.....KRDRRKRDKDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDKRRR.....
> >.....KRDRRKRDKDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDKRRR.....
> >
> >8B/10B encoded stream at receiver:
> >
> >KRLRRKRLKSDDDDDDDTKRSDDDDDDDTKRSDDDDDDDTKRLKRRR................
> >...........KRDRRKRDKDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDKRRR.....
> >...........KRDRRKRDKDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDKRRR.....
> >..KRDRRKRDKDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDKRRR..............
> >
> >My question to you is how the receiver is supposed to align to/deskew if it is
> >using either LSS or packet data columns, even consecutive columns? Since the
> >receiver starts out with no lane sync and with lanes significantly skewed, what
> >is the receivers reference point (i.e. which code-groups in each lane at the
> >receiver are related)? Note that the same problem exists in the absence of LSS
> >words, rendering LSS an orthogonal issue to lane-to-lane deskew.
> >
> >The simple and accepted P802.3ae /A/ spacing proposal solves this problem by
> >providing a minimum guaranteed /A/ column spacing. This minimum /A/ spacing is
> >flexible and can easily accommodate the maximum skew of any proposed PMD. Using
> >/A/ columns (extending the spacing to 32 min), the 8B/10B encoded stream at
> >receiver would look something like this:
> >
> >KRLRRARLKSDDDDDDDTKRSDDDDDDDTKRSDDDDDDDTKRLKRAR................
> >...........KRDRRARDKDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDKRAR.....
> >...........KRDRRARDKDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDKRAR.....
> >..KRDRRARDKDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDKRAR..............
> >
> >Note that there is NO ambiguity as to which code-groups in each lane are related
> >(i.e. were simultaneously transmitted) even in the presence of LSS and standard
> >minimum size Ethernet packets.
> >
> >Please tell me if there is a flaw in my logic somewhere because I am anxious fix
> >it if there is. I'm also very interested to any simplifications to the P802.3ae
> >baseline proposals which work.
> >
> >Best Regards,
> >Rich
> >
> >--
> >
> >Jonathan Thatcher wrote:
> >>
> >> There is one clear reason to me. The magnitude of the quote-benefit-unquote
> >> does not overcome the advantage of having common core definitions with Fibre

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxx
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com