RE: XAUI AC coupling

Rich,
Looking at the technologies likely to be used for XAUI implementations,
the preferred DC operating points for transmitters must lie within a
reasonably limited range. If we could agree on what that range should
be, it is still possible that AC coupling the receiver in most cases
would be the only viable solution for supporting the full range of
common mode voltages. Leaving AC or DC coupling out of the spec
however, would allow compliant DC-coupled receivers provided the full
common mode range can be supported also without the caps.

I think the standard will be more successful if coined such that the
coupling method can be regarded as an implementational detail. As seen
from one or two mails on the subject, both AC and DC coupling have
merits of different kinds. I think I've seen only one DC offset (750mV)
suggested (and disputed) What are the other desired transmitter DC
offset voltages?

Best regards Tord.

Optillion
Tord Haulin
Kronborgsgrand 9                            Ph:   +46  8-477-4192
S-164 87 Kista                         Cellular:  +46 70-181-5231
SWEDEN                                    Fax:    +46  8-477-4151
http://www.optillion.com         mailto:Tord.Haulin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx