Re: Clock Tolerance and WAN PHY

Hi

You can get high quality third overtone oscillator with 50 ppm and 100
ppm and the
cost difference is less than 10% between 500 PPM and 100 PPM.  Their
price is
comparable to a expresso at Starbuck.

Thanks,

A.G.

Devendra Tripathi wrote:

> Jonathan,
>
> I started the thread on a very simple note that it is time we reduce the
> clock tolerance
> to 50 ppm as it greatly helps in design of elasticity buffers at various
> clock change
> points. The cost of 50 ppm and 100 ppm ocsillators are almost same (I wish I
> had numbers,
> may be some one can provide that). This is similar request to moving voltage
> level to
> lower values to facilitiate higher density and faster designs.
>
> If some one could compare cost of even lower ppms and we find it OK, it may
> be wise
> to change the requirement even to that. At least we do not have to worry
> about being
> compatible to 10/100/1000 on this one.
>
> Regards,
>
> Devendra Tripathi
> VidyaWeb, Inc
> 90 Great Oaks Blvd #206
> San Jose, Ca 95119
> Tel: (408)226-6800,
> Direct: (408)363-2375
> Fax: (408)226-6862

begin:vcard
n:Ghiasi;Ali
tel;work:(408)922-7423
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Broadcom;Optical Transport
adr:;;3151 Zanker Rd	;San Jose;CA;95134;
version:2.1
email;internet:aghiasi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
x-mozilla-cpt:;-3776
fn:Ali Ghiasi