RE: Clarification on added B2/B3 bytes in WIS

Frank,

To understand the method of computing the bit interleaved
parity for the B2 fields, I think it might be easier to simply
use the definition of "BIP-N" in the Definitions subsection
of P802.3ae, subclause 1.4:

"1.4.xxx Bit interleaved parity N (BIP-N): A method of error
monitoring using even (or odd) parity, such that an N-bit
codeword is generated over a specified portion of an input
data stream in such a manner that the i-th bit of the codeword
provides even (or odd) parity over the i-th bit of all N-bit
sequences in the covered portion of the data stream."

The 192 B2 bytes, taken together, form the "N-bit codeword".
This field has a total width of (192 x 8) bits, or 1536 bits. In
order to compute the B2 field from the WIS frame, therefore,
we do the following:
- take the entire WIS frame and divide it into 1536-bit chunks,
starting at the top left (the first A1 byte) and working left
to right, top to bottom
- throw away the 1536-bit chunks corresponding to the first
576 columns of the first 3 rows (13824 bits altogether)
- XOR all the remaining 1536-bit chunks together, resulting
in a single 1536-bit (192 byte) vector

The result will provide the even parity vector that must be
placed in the B2 bytes. Formally, the kth bit of the ith byte
of the B2 field in the Line Overhead represents the even
parity computed over the kth bit of the ith byte of all 192-byte
aligned, contiguous and non-overlapping subsequences in the
preceding WIS frame, excluding the Section Overhead. This is
actually quite straightforward to implement from a logic
standpoint (1536 register bits and some XOR gates, essentially).
No awkward byte addressing issues are involved.

I believe your confusion might arise from interpreting the term
"concatenated" as meaning "placed back-to-back". In this
context, however, it indicates that all of the STS-1s in the
STS-192 frame are chained (or glued) together - hence the use
of the term "concatenated" - to create a new, single, large frame
carrying a single stream of payload data, as opposed to the
"multiplexed" scenario where the individual STS-1s are separate
entities carrying separate data streams. ANSI T1.105,
referenced by Clause 50 (see 50.1.1), explains the differences
in detail and gives various examples.

Effectively, the last paragraph in your e-mail is correct: the B2
calculation is made in an interleaved fashion over the whole
WIS frame (not interleaved over the Line Overhead and in
contiguous blocks over the payload, as you initially assumed).
Note however, that there is an error in your column numbers:
byte #2 of the B2 field is calculated from columns 2, 194 and
386 of rows 4-9 of Figure 50-8, and columns 2, 194, 386, ... 16514
of all rows of Figure 50-4.

I hope this clarifies things. Apologies for the length of this e-mail.

Best regards,

- Tom Alexander
PMC-Sierra