Re: Clause 45: MDIO Electrical Specifications

Jeff,

As you correctly point out, the conclusion of the MDIO Electrical ad-hoc was to
recommend to IEEE P802.3ae that JEDEC JESD8-11 be adopted as the MDIO electrical
interface. This is what I reported at the opening IEEE P802.3ae Task Force
meeting in January and, as you point out, is recorded in the meeting minutes in
the General Presentations section
(http://www.ieee802.org/3/ae/public/jan01/minutes_0101.pdf - pages 15/16).

Please note however that this was a report of the recommendation of the Ad-Hoc
given at the start of the meeting. When the Clause 45 track met later in the
week to resolve comments, the track discussed the ad-hoc's recommendation in
relation to D2.0 comment #1115 and the conclusion of this discussion was a
decision to use electricals based on JEDEC JESD8-11. These electricals are a
1.2v instance of JEDEC JESD8-11 with some additional parameters.  This is
documented in the comment resolution database against comment #1115
(http://www.ieee802.org/3/ae/comments/d2.0/D2-0-Comments.pdf - Page 76) and was
also reported by Ben Brown in his Logic Track report at the close of the IEEE
P802.3ae Task Force meeting
(http://www.ieee802.org/3/ae/public/jan01/brown_1_0101.pdf - Page 5).

In conclusion, while the ad-hoc made a recommendation, during comment resolution
this recommendation was modified and I am bound by the results on the comment
resolution process, which were approved by the Task Force, when preparing the
draft. You are therefore correct in saying that the changes that I made to the
draft do not match the report I gave of the Ad-hoc's recommendation at the start
of the meeting. This however is all part of the comment resolution process. Note
however, this is not to say that the work of the Ad-Hoc was ignored, it is the
basis of what appears in the draft today.

In relation to your new comment, I feel I have to put a 'proposed reject'
against it, citing comment #1115 from D2.0 - please don't take the reject
personally! I feel I have to do this as I believe that the current draft is
aligned to the consensus of the group. However, as with all comments, the actual
response will be discussed and decided at the upcoming meeting, in this case
during the Clause 45 track.

I do believe that the selection of a electrical specification for Clause 45 is a
most difficult task in particular in relation to selecting an approach that is
acceptable today, but will not become a burden to future implementations. I want
to thank you, and everybody else that has taken part in this, for the
contributions so far. As you will no doubt have noted there was another
suggestion for the Clause 45 electrical interface yesterday and I hope that now
there is wider interest we can all work together to come to a acceptable
consensus.

Respectfully,
Ed

"Jeff Porter (rgbn10)" <j.porter@xxxxxxxxxxxx> on 01/03/2001 03:55:27