RE: Chapter 46: preamble length

Good question.  I think discussion is really about what value-add you think
the preamble has.  The only thing preamble permits 10GbE to do is mark SPD
(start of packet delimiter) or /S/.  The receive MAC never sees the /S/,
only preamble.  If you require 8 bytes of preamble, then you're going to
count/track to make sure that the eight bytes are there, even though MAC
only discards them.  If the receive MAC is designed to trigger on the SFD,
rather than the first byte of preamble, then you have no need to track
preamble and you can treat it like idle codes; therefore, it doesn't matter
how many bytes of preamble you do or don't receive.  As for burden, it would
solely depend on your implementation.

Non-compliance is unlikely to be an issue, because we're talking about the
receive MAC.  If we (the task force) truly feel that all 8 bytes of preamble
are going/required to show up at the receive MAC, then if your receive MAC
is designed for all 8 bytes of preamble or no bytes of preamble will make no
difference.

Cheers,
Brad