RE: Management PMA/PMD registers for XAUI

Boaz,

Unless I've missed some change that occurred in D3.0, MDIO is an optional
part of the standard. No sublayer is required to provide an MDIO. There is
some text that recommends or requires access through proprietary means to
some managment bits when an MDIO is not present, but I don't think there is
such text for the PMA lock bit.

Secondly, I don't think that a DTE-XGXS to PMD with nothing in between would
be a valid implementation. The stack with a XAUI interface is:

  RS -> DTE-XGXS -> PHY-XGXS -> PCS -> PMA -> PMD.

When the PMD is 10GBASE-X, then the combination of PHY-XGXS and PCS is just
translating a 4 lane 8B/10B signal to an XGMII signal and back into a 4-lane
8B/10B signal. It is obviously possible to remove most of the PHY-XGXS and
PCS logic to just pass through the 8B/10B signal.

BUT XAUI and the fiber media have separate jitter budgets and there isn't
enough slack to combine them. One might get away with that in a very careful
implementation, but not if one is going to use the XAUI as a compatability
interface. (If you want to do an implementation without internal
compatability interfaces and you meet all the specs at the MDIO, you can do
your internal layering any way you want.)

If one is doing a XAUI to 10GBASE-X PMD module, then there will be at least
a retimer in it. The 10GBASE-X PMA is pretty much just the retimer. Rich's
diagram in the presentation you mention doesn't get into that detail, but
the words that are in the draft on the subject do mention the presence of
the retimer.

Pat