[802.3ae] Wan Interface Sublayer difference from IETF POS

Gary,

A major difference between IETF Packet Over SONET (POS) interface and the
WAN PHY is that the POS interface was originally intended to be a client on
a SONET transmission node and electrically multiplexed along with other
client signals.  As a tributary client on a transmission node, it has to
adhere to all of the specifications of a SONET transmission client.

It is not until OC192c POS, that it becomes a peer on the DWDM
network.  Ironically, there are no specifications for a transmission
service peer on a DWDM network.  10GbE WAN PHY is the first data
communications protocol that is designed to operate as a peer on a DWDM
service network.

This leads to some confusion about what the specifications need to be,
because the transmission services standards deal only with client signal
multiplexing services types of specifications.  The closest that I have
seen for a specification of a non-multiplexing LTE is the specifications
for a "Class B" regenerator in GR 253, and that isn't very much.  I have
not heard of a set of specifications for optical service systems that do
not include support for electrically multiplexed client signals.  Even the
ITU OTN is an electrically multiplexed client service architecture.   If
you want to make a real difference and go to T1X1 and get them to consider
a set of specifications for optical peer level services that does not
include support for electrically multiplexed client signals.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum