Re: [802.3ae] XSBI Bit ordering

Hello Satya (and Tom),

This bit ordering is a bit messy. Let me state the "facts" and how the
standard approached this.

1) In the SONET world, a frame is sent w/ MSB first.
2) In the Ethernet LAN world, packets are sent LSB first.
3) The XSBI was/is trying to leverage from the SONET world,
SFI-4.Allowing to
Ethernet world
    to use existing OC192 parts if needed.

Given all the above ... the implementor/supplier any and all involved
should
be made aware
of these things.

The agreed 802.3ae approach to this is to have all clauses "speak" to
bit
ordering is a logical sense. Only
in clause 51 does this get highlighted (many areas). Hope this helps.

Tom,
Do you have anything to add here?

Regards,
Justin