RE: [802.3ae] Clarification request CJPAT etc

Tim,

Clause 45 defines several pertinent bits relating to the selection and usage
of Clause 48 test patterns.  Bit 5.24.11 indicates that the DTE XGXS is able
to generate test patterns.  Bit 5.25.2 allows for the test pattern to be
transmitted when it is set to 1, and for the pattern not to be transmitted
when set to 0.  Bits 5.25.1 and 5.25.0 allow you to select which test
pattern you want to use.  Notice that you are allowed to select the Low
frequency, high frequency, and mixed frequency test patterns here.  It is
correct that the ability to transmit these patterns is optional.  If a
vendor chooses to implement internal pattern generators for these patterns,
then they need to use the proper register bits mentioned above.    Please
note that all three of these test patterns may be transmitted directly
through the XGMII interface with D21.5, K28.7, and K28.5 for the high, low,
and mixed patterns, respectively.

I believe that the intent here was to allow some implementers to put
internal traffic generators on their chips to create the jitter test
patterns, and for some to use an XGMII or equivalent interface to create the
patterns.  If you are going to use internal pattern generators, then you can
select the patterns through the registers in Clause 45.

The PICS statement in Clause 48 is specifying that you need to use the
patterns specified in Annex 48A to do jitter testing, and in particular, you
need to use CJPAT for receive jitter compliance testing.  The reason for
this is that Annex 48A is specified as a normative annex.

Any further input is welcome, and please let me know if I'm way off base
here.

-Eric Lynskey