Re: [802.3ae] Proposed modifications to CJPAT - round 3

Tom,

First of all, thanks for your ongoing efforts to develop the
best test pattern here.

Please let me ask a couple questions to make sure I understand
the issues (since I can't do 8B10B encoding in my head).  Where
I'm coming from is the need to understand what deterministic
10-bit pattern(s) would constitute the patterns you propose.
At the serdes level without an 8B10B encode/decode function,
we need to test with fixed, pre-coded 10-bit patterns.

So, if I understand correctly, each lane is assumed to have a
random starting disparity, yielding 2**4 possible starting
conditions.  "Disparity flipping" bytes switch the disparity
in mid-pattern (option 1) or between consecutive patterns
(option 2).  Hence, when viewed on the 10-bit side, options 1
and 2 are almost identical, with a few more packet header
characters in the middle of the option 2 repeating 10-bit pattern.
In either case, the repeating 10-bit pattern in each lane is
approximately 380 10-bit characters long.  Also, there are 2**4
possible valid 10-bit repeating CJPAT patterns on the 4 lanes.

I'd appreciate it if you could point out what I might have got
wrong in my understanding.  (Also, at least one example of the
proposed pattern in 10-bit code would be quite useful.)

Thanks,
Mike

--
 Mike Jenkins               Phone: 408.433.7901            _____
 LSI Logic Corp, ms/G715      Fax: 408.433.7495        LSI|LOGIC| (R)