Agenda for March 11 meeting

Dear colleagues,

For our March 11 meeting, five presentations are planned.

1. Measurements of time variation in DMD-challenged multimode fiber at 1310nm
for 10GE equalizer application. Eva Peral, Adam Healey, Sudeep Bhoja, Byron
Kasper, Stephen Oh, and Jeffrey H. Saunders, Agere Systems. 30 minutes.

Measurements of time response of TIA DMD-challenged multimode fiber for
characterization of the channel time variance have been realized at 1310 nm
using FP lasers and DFB lasers and data rates 2.5 Gbs, 5 Gbs and 10 Gbs.

2. A Link Model for Equalized Receivers. Oscar Agazzi, Broadcom Corporation. 30
minutes.

We present a link budget analysis tool that estimates the SNR, BER, and cable
reach of a DFE-based receiver.

3. Five Gb/s Multimode DMD at 850 nm: Real-Time Data and Equalizer Simulations.
Thomas Lenosky, Giorgio Giaretta, Finisar Corporation. 30 minutes.

We have collected data using multimode fiber, and an 850 nm VCSEL driven with a
5 Gb/s PRBS, using a fiber shaker, mode-selective loss element, and a Tektronix
real-time scope with 10G samples/s and 4 GHz bandwidth.  We have successfully
performed simulations of a decision-feedback equalizer using this data, showing
that a completely closed eye diagram can be opened, giving a low bit error rate.
An 850 nm equalization solution is open to certain criticisms, i.e. lack of
pulse splitting at 850 nm and the possibility of significant mode partition
noise in some 850 nm VCSEL’s, which we address by also presenting 1310 nm data
in a companion talk.

4. Five Gb/s Multimode DMD at 1310 nm: Real-Time Data and Equalizer Simulations.
Giorgio Giaretta, Thomas Lenosky, Finisar Corporation. 30 minutes.

We have collected data using multimode fiber, and an 1310 nm DFB laser driven
with a 5 Gb/s PRBS, using a fiber shaker, mode-selective loss element, and a
Tektronix real-time scope with 10G samples/s and 4 GHz bandwidth.  We have
successfully performed simulations of a decision-feedback equalizer using this
data, showing that a completely closed eye diagram can be opened, giving a low
bit error rate.  This data addresses two points raised at the previous 802.3ae
meeting: mode partition noise is not present for the DFB laser, and pulse
splitting is present in this data.

5. Status Review of 802.3ae Equalization Ad Hoc. Vipul Bhatt. 30 minutes.

This presentation will be highly interactive - and it will be the last one of
the evening, testing your ability to stay awake!! I will pose five questions to
the group, and together we will derive answers. The answers will become the
basis of my report to P802.3ae on Tuesday, March 13. (1) What has this ad hoc
accomplished? (2) What remains to be done? (3) Is a Call For Interest advisable?
(4) Should the ad hoc recommend a change in link power budget specs? (5) Do the
members agree to recommend to the 802.3ae chair to conclude the business of this
ad hoc?

[By the way, if you cannot attend the meeting, but wish to express your views
regarding these five questions, or if you think discussion on a topic should
start ahead of the meeting, this reflector is an appropriate forum.]

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Vipul

vbhatt@xxxxxxxxxxx