Re: PAM5 Objectives

Pat,

There is not such shared objective of "the PAM-5 group" to
abandon the 802.3ae Task Force and promote the formation
of another PAR and Task Force.

There are people within the PAM-5 proponents, mainly
those identified with the "PAM-5 serial at 5 Gbaud" ,
that understand that their proposal is very incomplete,
has serious question marks on it and will not meet the
tight schedule of the 802.3ae. Some of them has also
expressed second thoughts about whether to stay with
1300 nm (to keep their promise of reaching 500 meters
on the installed MMF) or switch to 850 nm lasers to
be cheaper (in which case their maximum reach, according
to their presentations would be only 160 meters, after
all the pre- and post-equalization schemes).

The proponents of the "850nm-4WDM-1.25 Gbaud"
proposal plan to stay in the 802.3ae and meet the schedule
of the 802.3ae.

The 802.3ae decided in its last meeting in Albuquerque
that the decision of which proposals will be included within
the "7 lucky proposals" will be taken only in the July 2000
meeting. Till then, all the proposals on the Table, including
the PAM-5 proposals, are equally valid and will be considered
and discussed by the 802.3ae.

I would suggest to avoid in the future sending to the
IEEE Reflectors these type of "resolutions" and
"communications" that can only confuse the Task Force
members at large, and keep the contents of the IEEE 802.3ae
Reflectors technical and in sync with the objectives of the 802.3ae.

Jaime

Jaime E .Kardontchik
Micro Linear
San Jose, CA 95131