RE: Minutes of serial PMD specs telecon 17 Oct 00

Rohit,

Thanks for the reply.   (I have fixed the email address for
the serial pmd exploder in this reply).

I did realze that the  RJ was not concentrated at a single frequency; it is a filtered noise source and is
broadband.  I didn't realize that the DJ was also broadband; I thought that this, being deterministic, was applied at a single
frequency.   However, your answer has prompted several new questions.

First, when we apply sinusoidal jitter at a given frequency below 50 MHz, do we apply the broadband DJ and RJ simultaneously in the same test (so that the sinusoidal jitter of a given frequency, broadband RJ, and broadband DJ, are
all applied together)?  Or, is the sinusoidal jitter applied alone in one test (actually, many tests with one for each frequency)
and then the DJ and RJ are applied together in another test?

Above 50Mhz, you apply all simultaneously. Its true that sinusoidal will be at one frequency, whereas teh others are going to be broadband. That way you get total of 0.7UI jitter applied(.1UI for sin, .38UI for DJ and .22UI for RJ). I don't think you test thoroughly at all points for sine above 50Mhz. Just take fc/2 as the worst case to apply the .1UI for sine jitter

Second, how is the DJ actually generated?  I ask this because, as I mentioned above, I initially thought the DJ applied had a single frequency (similar to the sinusoidal jitter)?  I presume the DJ signal, even though it is broadband, is deterministic.

I don't know the exact answer to this. Some of our vendors said that they followed the 802.3z method of using some cable length, plus filter after the pattern generator. Basically DJ arises because of ISI, so you need some way of limiting the bandwidth of the system. That, I believe, is the reason its broadband.

That brings up a good point, why does the FC spec say that the majority of the DJ is concentrated at fc/2. I don't know (any comments appreciated)

Third, is the filter that the DJ and RJ are passed through before being applied to the system a bandpass from frequency
(line rate)/1667 to (line rate)/2 (i.e., approximately 6 MHz to 5 GHz for a 10 Gbit/s line rate or, equivalently, 637 kHz to
531 MHz for Fibre Channel as indicated in Table 3 of MJS-2)?

Thanks for the information on this.

Regards,

Geoff Garner

I hope I got your question right.There is a difference between applying sinusoidal jitter and RJ/DJ. When you apply sine jitter you apply jitter at each frequency below 50MHz eg. you add xx amplitude sinewave (f=20Mhz) to the clock which is used to generate the data and see if you can tolerate that jitter. Then, you apply yy amplitude sinewave (f=40Mhz, say) to the clock .... and see if you can tolerate the jitter. (This is similar to Sonet). (Note:xx,yy are given by the 20db/decade sloping graph in the spec).Above 50Mhz, you apply a white noise source. You filter this white noise source. So, basically you are applying noise power. You do not put zz amplitude of white noise at one frequency, say, f=100Mhz. (zz=.22UI, if I remember correctly). Presumabely, if all the RJ and DJ was concentrated at one frequency point, say, f= 100Mhz , you would fail to pass the jitter.So this is the difference between sinusoidal and RJ/DJ