RE: Minutes of serial PMD specs telecon 17 Oct 00

Geoff,

We have gained a better understanding of SONET and MJS approaches to jitter through discussions such as this. Of course, we can go on forever and still not fully agree on what the elephant looks like...so allow me to review the main issue from a high altitude. As needed, we will seek clarifications and sink into details again.

For 64B66B Serial, do we want to adopt MJS methodology, SONET methodology, or some combination of the two? If the combination, do we start with MJS and tweak it, or start with SONET and tweak it?

The MJS methodology can't be adopted "as is" because our transmission code isn't 8B10B - the DJ will behave differently.

I am also uncomfortable with adopting the SONET methodology "as is" because it is substantially different from the TP1-2-3-4 jitter output description used by 802.3z. It views TP3  in terms of jitter tolerance, not jitter output. For jitter output measurement, it applies the 80 MHz filter on TP2 - a method not suitable for 802.3ae, in my opinion. (I am okay with applying that filter on TP1, but that's irrelevant because TP1 probably won't be a compliance point in 802.3ae.  I think we will see at TP2 a significant amount of jitter contributed by frequencies higher than 80 MHz - especially when you directly drive lasers, and also take into account Duty Cycle Distortion.) The TP-based jitter output approach has served us well in 802.3z and we have become used to it. Many of us have time domain test instruments that are adequate for estimating jitter output.

So we have to tweak something, somewhere.

(Option 1) If I start with MJS, what would I tweak? Clearly, the DJ part. DJ has four components - data dependent, sinusoidal, duty cycle distortion and uncorrelated-bounded. My interpretation of the MJS document is that the data dependent portion of DJ is a function of run length. For 64B66B code, we can assume that run length will be binomially distributed (truncated to 66 bits). This discrete distribution can be simplified as continuous Gaussian. Therefore, we can "transfer" the data dependent portion of DJ out of the DJ column. In other words, for a given TJ, the DJ values will get smaller. The remaining three quantities contributing to DJ can't be approximated as Gaussian, in my opinion. For example, a limiting amplifier can cause DCD because it has different rise and fall times due to device and process variations. This type of DCD may not be strongly related to run length.

(Option 2) If I start with SONET, what would I tweak? I would increase the 80 MHz filter limit to 5 GHz for measuring jitter output at TP2. This would force me to raise the maximum acceptable value to 0.3 or even 0.4 UI, for example. I may also have to change the tolerance mask for TP3 to account for it.

There is a political joke that says "When traveling on a road, if you come across a fork, take it."  Sounds like good advice to me...Let's combine the best of Option 1 and Option 2. Let's keep the TP table, specifying a high-upper-limit filter for jitter output measurements at TP2 and TP3. In the TP table, let's shrink the values of DJ to reflect the nature of the 64B66B code. In addition, let's specify a tolerance mask for TP3. How does that sound?

Regards,
Vipul

vipul.bhatt@xxxxxxxxxxx
(408)542-4113