	Von:  DAWE,PIERS (A-England,ex1) [SMTP:piers_dawe@xxxxxxxxxxx]
	Gesendet:  Dienstag, 2. Januar 2001 16:35
	An:  'Serial PMD Ad Hoc Reflector'
	Betreff:  RE: Test patterns ?

	The pattern for extinction ratio and OMA measurements should have
the
	following characteristics:

	Convenient to generate, e.g.:
			Real traffic
			Idling
			Something synchronous to the ICs:
				66 bit word oriented?
				Byte oriented?
	Convenient to measure
		Static pattern?
	Gives sufficient accuracy
		Depends what we want to measure...
	Acceptable measurement time

	There are at least three competing philosophies on what we want to
measure:
	1.	We are trying to find the "1" and "0" levels well away from
the
	transients (as in GigE)
	2.	We may as well measure the average "1" and "0" levels.  Then
we can
	measure in or near service.  This is ITU-T's approach.
	3.	It is of little interest to the customer that some bits are
better
	than others.  Just measure the eye opening, including the isolated
bits.

	While the GigE is 10 bit word oriented, 5x"1" + 5x"0" makes sense in
that
	scenario; criterion easy to generate.  Not for either 10GE serial
line code.

	The amplitude measurements under philosophy 1 are not intended to
stress
	anything to do with long run lengths.  3,4,8,or even 66 x"1" then
x"0" would
	probably work for this test, even though the transition densities
are far or
	very far from normal.  I doubt if there is need for a hard "shall"
to define
	the pattern.

	Piers

OMA